Friday, February 4, 2011

Session Roundup #2

Although a day late, as yesterday was the first round of Majour Updates for That Heap Big Thing, and I had neither time nor brain to spend on else. Anyway, we didn't have any tabletop last week, but rather had an In-Play Party and One Day for Eclipse.

So, I play Pallas Harper Kell, a space-samurai thug for the Imperium of Man, whose cousin is a muckety-muck soldier trapped in a muckety-muck noble's body. She's a good time. She also is a naive, a-type personality, quite by accident.

Anyway, a little on In-Play parties and One days vs. regular LARP events. In-Play parties are interesting, and not technically canon, except that they are. Things that happen there don't, or aren't supposed to, have plot consequences, though they make have profound character consequences. At this one, my character spent most of the night curled in a ball, utterly embarrassed, and completely smashed.

One of the most important aspects of in-play parties-- the presence of alcohol.

So... this was my first Eclipse one-day, an MJQ event. It was cool, took place in a bar, and still had combat. It didn't have a field battle, which is one of the typical features of most larp events (a heap-big battle that involves some element of strategy or boss-level difficulty), but that wasn't really expected. Mostly, there were a ton of politics, and some really neat twisting of situations so that characters who are good friends are-- in a very subtle and sidelong way-- finding themselves at cross purposes. Thusly, they must needs scramble to fix that. I was not involved in any of that directly, but Shieldhaven was. It's a thing that Eclipse has begun to do really quite well, and that I hope to see more of in the future.

Also, Stands-in-Fire and another friend, Miss L, are well on their way to becoming psionic space-demon fighting ninjas. For realz.

***

On another note, writing patch notes for a LARP website was the best idea ever, and I feel very good about it.

Finally, mostly because I am fading, Shieldhaven wrote a post today about the very topic I have neglected to maunder upon for some time, and once I've slept, done some various chores, and run my game tomorrow, I shall speak more on't.

No comments:

Post a Comment